Career Focus Writer and Editor – research, write and edit copy for magazines, arts groups, blogs, websites, newspapers, print and media industries.
I have been
writing and editing feature articles, books, online content, editorial pieces,
technical writing, plus creative print and marketing copy for 10 years.
After all my training, an internship and direct experience, I've become well versed in writing and editing, and in the transcription of interviews, plus proofreading and creating online content.
Added to all that, I've developed proven organisation and administrative skills, and I pride myself on having excellent time management.
English is my first language, and I've developed a strong technical command of my language. Over the years I've produced copy in virtually all writing styles, and maintained a serious commitment to excellence in the printed and published word.
A large part of being a writer and editor is having exceptional research skills, along with being a good interviewer, listener, and developing strong reporting skills with a keen eye for detail. I hope to show you I have all these attributes.
Swift Digital – Assistant Editor - Intern http://swiftdigital.com.au
• Brought a new voice to articles for their Suite Talking Newsletter. http://suitetalking.swiftdigital.com.au/link/id/zzzz51b67da4e57a2788Pzzzz5191a53420a4d490/page.html
• Writing and editing content from technical staff and rewriting documentation in a clear and concise style for an internal Technical Wiki.
• Improved editorial and visual standards for web copy, documents and created new designs, layouts and procedures. April 2013 to July 2013
Guys Read Gals - Co-Editor http://guysreadgals.wordpress.com/
• Write, research and edit articles and reviews. Interview writers, publishers and artists. January 2013 to Present
Bluethumb - Copy Writer www.bluethumb.com.au
• Write, proofread and edit articles for a leading visual arts commercial website.
• Collaborated on and researched new ideas for articles with artists and interior designers.
• Assisted writers with copy and designers with advertising layout.
• Brought new ideas and directions to Bluethumb. June 2011 to March 2012
Adrite Digital Colour - Sales & Marketing Manager – part time http://www.adrite.com.au
• Built and organised sales and marketing. Developed prospect lists of target customers. Implemented action plans to acquire new business, maintain existing clients through a CRM.
• Created social media content. Developed email and newsletter marketing products. Guided and coordinated the redesign of company website and branding. 2010 to June 2011
State of the Arts magazine – Writer and Reviewer
• Wrote articles on visual and contemporary art exhibitions. Worked with copy editors, journalists and designed layouts to produce stylised print and online publications. 2006-2007
DiVerse – Manager, Poet and Performer. http://diversepoets.blogspot.com/
• Build, schedule, perform and analyse unique arts events and productions with media personnel, public programs coordinators and directors of Australian cultural institutions.
• Coordinate projects, design booklets, create and distribute advertising materials and support the poets and cultural institutions to produce entertaining and educational programs.
• High-level ability and keenness to build and promote events, write media copy, and provide management support and follow up on all day-to-day events. 2000 to Present
Education and Training
• Australian College - Advanced editing and publishing - 2013
• NSW Writers’ Centre - Professional editing - 2012 - Creative writing - 2008
• University of Technology Sydney - Copy editing - Australian Centre for Independent Journalism - 2011
• WEA - Creative writing, levels 2 & 3 - 2010 - Writing for business - 2009
• New Horizons Learning Centre - Word 2003 level 2 - 2007
• Sydney Writers Centre - Feature writing for magazines and newspapers - 2007
• Sydney Community College - Inside journalism - 2006
• Australian Institute of Management - Fundamentals of report and memo writing - 1991
Microsoft Word • Microsoft Office Suites • Open Office • IBM and Macintosh Systems • InDesign CS5, basic skills • Xerox document editing and arranging programs – Freeflow • Audio/Visual editing programs • Web 2 tools
Writing Samples Blogs, Websites and Newspapers
Thank you for taking the time to read my resume. I look forward to expanding on my career, my experience and enthusiasm for writing and editing with you.